Development Goals Fund
of the Episcopal Diocese of New York
In 2015, the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted 17 Sustainable Development Goals, seeking to end poverty, to protect and care for the planet and to fight injustice and inequality. Last summer, in anticipation of the announcement of the Sustainable Development Goals, the General Convention of the Episcopal Church voted to continue its budgetary commitment of 0.7% annually toward international development programs, and it encouraged dioceses and congregations to do the same.
With this in mind, the Episcopal Diocese of New York established the Sustainable Development Goals Fund (SDF) with seed money from the 2016 diocesan budget and the Global Mission Commission. The SDF will serve as a resource for diocesan entities to work with partners outside of the diocese to further sustainable growth and development. All congregations, schools and mission networks of the diocese are welcome to apply for this new funding. We believe that seeking to attain these goals is a concrete way to live out our baptismal promises (BCP, pp.304-5). The goals will guide us as we strive for justice and peace among all people, respecting the dignity of every human being and caring for God's creation.
If you have questions regarding this application or about funding a project or ministry, a member of the Global Mission Commision is available to answer questions and to provide encouragement and advice [email protected].
Click to View the Sustainable Development Goals
The Sustainable Development Goals (http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/)
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition, and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss.
- Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies.
- Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.
Mission Office Contacts
The Rt. Rev. Mary D. Glasspool
The Rev. Yamily Bass-Choate
Liaison for Global Mission
Ms. Michelle Chang
Executive Assistant to the Bishop Suffragan and the Assistant Bishop